Skip to main content

Mandala for life....

When ever I'm free from routine mundane workload, I used to sit, draw or create designs and patterns. Drawing has been my hobby since childhood .
No one beleives me when I say that I have never studied art as a subject during school years. I chose to study kandyan dancing (traditional dancing of hill country of sri lanka) And kandyan drumming instead.

I continued drawing what ever came to my mind, even though I had no aim or potential to excel in arts.
When I was 18 years old, my neighbour, a relative, who is also a teacher introduced me to his mother who was going to the national art gallery on week ends to draw. 
Back then i was a teenager who was highly enthusiastic to draw what ever came to my mind. I preferred black and white painted art and one of the senior artists at the ar gallery who was a  tutor as well told me that i should keep up with this unique style of mine, which was more into modern art.
I did not understood anything back then as i had no knowledge about what was happening aroud the globe. Internet was not freely available for all and we had to go to an internet cafe if we wanted to look for information.
Most of these were created during my long hour flights, waiting in transit or during sleepless oncall nights when you are allowed to nap but couldnt.
My life has never been easy or smooth. It has always been challanging and exciting with many new obstacles coming up just in time to keep us on track. 
In a constantly buzzing society I find my pace and my peace through mandala drawings and yoga.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Reading and writing' heals the writer too...

Here I post my recent interview with the Asian Review Magazine  Writing and reading possess the power of healing. When writing comes out of a healer? It can be both for self-healing and healing others. The Asian Review presents today a medical doctor who embarked on a writing journey for both self-healing and healing others. Dr. Bodhini Samarathunga is a Sri Lankan writer who works across several genres. She writes in both Sinhala and English, and has been translated into third languages. She is currently based in Sweden. “Writers are not born or made; they erupt accidentally like volcanos.” How did your writing life begin?  I was drawn to books from a young age and have been eager to write since school. During my medical student years, I started expressing my creativity through poems and short stories in web forums and personal blogs with the encouragement and guidance received from friends. The curiosity ignited by reading evolved into a fiery passion to create my own tales....

From Thanamalwila to Europe

My 2 cents on Thanamalvila Kollek - තණමල්විල කොල්ලෙක් From Thanamalwila to Europe Having heard about this momentous heart stopper drama from many friends, I started watching the missed episodes from youtube and soon became a fan of it. The story line a friend summed up in a few words made me wonder how it can be of any interest as it was about a timid guy from a village called Thanamalwila who ends up in europe. I, myself who had studied and worked in Europe for a considerable time, have met several youth from rural villages of south and north. They all carried a story of their struggles on the path to find comfort in a European country. That struggle was never easy. The word "thanamalvila" at once, brings up its popularity for a plant which everyone knew about but never spoke out in the open. "Thanamalwila kollek" which "happened" for real on television, have made a huge impact on this and silently created a mark for the society to remember th...

She is my kind of a super hero !

She is my kind of superhero! It was somewhere in 2001 when I first met her for real. But before that, I only saw and knew her from her books. She was one of the prominent writers who filled the children's world when there were no television or digital facilities.  Her stories took me on splendid journeys since I was a child, and I am sure she is one of those key creators who planted the creative seed in me. Even though I used to draw, I never studied art as a subject. However, I used to draw on paper and even on the walls of my house. Anurudh Ekanayake, a relative having seen my paintings, urged me to go to a national art gallery with his mom, a painter there. Since then, I have gone to the national art gallery every Saturday to learn to draw.   Even though I was physically there among the other artists who drew various kinds of historical art, my mind always wandered to the kids’ section where all the kids flock around this tiny lady, Sybil Wettasingha, who would narr...