Oh the 15th

October 15th brings back many memories from the past. 

I remember a mom from wanni the north of Sri Lanka who was super excited to have her caesarian section on a 15 th. 

When I asked her why she requested it to fall on 15th I heard the weirdest reason I've ever heard.

"Doctor, we believe in birth number luck...6 is a good number for a girl, she will be pretty, fair and have a nice comfortable family life too, you see, When you add 1 and 5 it's number 6" she said.

" Aha... I'm 2 and 4, so I'm a number 6 too." I said. 

"Your face says it all doctor." 

I burst into a laugh in my mind of course, while examining her, for this was something ridiculous to hear. 

"Will you do my c section...the child will be fairer then" 

"Oh it doesn't work like that Amma, fairness isn't contagious. Let's wish for good health, bravery and strength. I hope your daughter will grow up to become an independent, strong woman, and most of all a good citizen" 

Even though she nodded to all this, the next day in the operating theatre, she said it aloud when we showed her the baby while her belly was still open.

" Oh, she is fair just like this doctor" she was explaining the number jinx to the anesthetist seated near her head at the operating bed.

"Good that you are a lady... Imagine if she made such a statement to a male doctor," He joked.

Then some other day I told this to my Tamil friend and she explained about the number thingy. I was a six according to this belief. 

"But did you know that I was not at all pretty or lady-like at all when I was a teenager...even now I wouldn't believe that I am in that beauty category. I have had a very challenging life with many struggles. I was never a lady like stereotype but always a rebel in my journey. I guess this number thing has its own outliers and perks." 

Every 15th I remember her as she never stopped making that statement about her baby and the lady doctor who Assisted in her caesarian section. She often visited our ward whenever she came for her baby's clinics and always prayed for my happiness. 

I remembered her today as it was a day like today (October 15th) when a woman wished for her daughter to have lighter/ fair skin probably because of societal misconceptions of the ideal female stereotypes. Dark skin tone due to melonin which is a protective factor in the skin which actually protects us from harmful rays of the sun. It should be considered a blessing as it  protects those live right under the sun. But the face cream commercials gain their customer base by giving them a lighter or fairer skin.

And I remember one such lady, who has a rebellious but a calmer and a humane heart ! Happy birthday Kasuwo… Kasuni Thewarapperuma ! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Thanamalwila to Europe

She is my kind of a super hero !

HEALING NOTES OF A MEDICAL DOCTOR